Part of the Goodness Festival 2015
CoderDojos are fun, free and social coding clubs. A Dojo session is a casual club-style session where young people aged 7-17 (Ninjas) take part in activities related to coding and computing. Pollinators Inc, in collaboration with Fogarty Foundation, are facilitating development of CoderDojo sessions in Geraldton.
This ‘Dojo session’ will give everyone a taste of a Dojo session, and will be facilitated by Robyn and Karen from Fogarty Foundation with support from mentors from Pollinators Inc. The Dojo will be aimed at Ninjas, however the session will be of interest to teachers and parents interested in supporting or running a Dojo.
At the Dojo session, Ninjas can experience a balance of free time and organised activities as Dojos are clubs more than classes:
- Free time to work on study and projects is important as it allows self-directed learning to emerge. During free time, Mentors will roam and sit with Ninjas, helping and encouraging them with their study and project work.
- Organised activities may include sharing some basics of computer science, taking part in social activities, joining hands-on demonstrations of technology, learning how to use some programming languages and gaining experience in developing websites, apps, programs, games and more.
RSVPs for this session are required.
- While it is ideal that you attend the introduction at 11am, you do not have to stay for the whole duration of the session, and you can ‘drop in’ anytime between 11 and 1pm.
- Pollinators, GUC and Fogarty Foundation will supply computers, WiFi, mentoring and inspiration so you just need to bring yourself.
This event will be held as part of Goodness Festival and GUC open day, where there will be many other complementary activities, food and entertainment for other family members happening nearby at the same time as the session.
- Robyn King, Executive Officer of Fogarty Foundation
- Karen Wellington, CoderDojo WA Coordinator
- Additional volunteers — tbc from Pollinators Inc
- Students aged 7-17 years old,
- Teachers, lecturers, parents.
Tickets costs $11 and can be purchased HERE
FREE if you purchase a Full Festival Ticket HERE
Who to contact for enquiries: Phone: (08) 9965 5371