Pound movements – We’re moving!

The City’s Animal Management Facility (Pound) on Pass Street will be relocating to a temporary facility in Davies Road Utakarra, behind the Greenough Oval.

The relocation will take place in the next two weeks. A new facility has been budgeted for and is programmed to start construction in 2016.

Residents missing an animal are encouraged to check the City’s website first to see whether their pet has been impounded. If you identify your pet you can contact the City’s Rangers on 9956 6600 to advise them and they will then be able to direct you where to go.

Animals can be collected from the Animal Management Facility daily between 1pm and 2pm. Charges apply, clarify costs with Rangers when you speak with them.

What other things can I do when I have lost my dog or cat?

  • Look around your neighbourhood and visit places your dog/cat would regularly visit such as the park. Also pay a visit to your local shopping centres and school as they may remember those places from walking with your children to school
  • Phone your vet to see if someone has picked up your pet and taken it to them
  • Place something on social media about your lost pet and keep checking in case someone has found it and is trying to locate the owner
  • Make sure your pet is microchipped and registered so that the owner can be located. Remember all dogs and cats must be microchipped and registered by the 31st October 2015 under the new State Laws

What to do when you’ve found a stray or lost pet?

  • All residents must report stray pets to the Cities Rangers as they receive phone calls from people looking for their pets. This can also assist with the animal being returned to the rightful owner.
  • Check collar (if wearing one) for name and contact
  • Phone veterinary clinics, the owner may have contacted the vet and they may be able to help find the owner
  • Check the various Facebook pages such as Everything Animal Geraldton Pet Page and Lost and Found Pets – Geraldton to name a few.
  • Check local shopping centre notice boards.
  • Don’t put lost pet signs on poles, fences or buildings as this is an offence.

For more information about the move visit the City’s website http://www.cgg.wa.gov.au/ or to view impounded pet’s onlinehttp://www.cgg.wa.gov.au/pound/ Contact Rangers on (08) 9956 6600.