Job Title & Position Number: Customer Service Officer (Ref 518)
Line Manager: Manager Mullewa Community Development
Direct Reports: Nil
Location: Mullewa District Office
Date Reviewed: February 2017
1. Job Purpose
Provide accurate, concise and timely information to the general public in all area of City business in accordance with high customer services standards. Liaise with staff and the public for the accurate receipt of monies due to the Council and provide a friendly, responsive and customer focused service to internal and external customers.
2. Organisational Context
The position of Customer Service Officer (Mullewa) is part of the Community and Cultural Development branch within the Development and Community Services Department. In total, four (4) branches report to the Development and Community Services Director. Other branches include Land & Regulatory Services, Urban & Regional Development and Library & Heritage Services.
3. Key Accountabilities
- Issue and discharge library material
- Actively encourage the use of the library service through high quality customer service
- Unpack incoming and outgoing stock
- Input and update records accurately
- Shelve and maintain order of library materials
- Provide friendly, responsive and customer focused service to all internal and external customers.
- Provide a complete telephone service to both the general public and internal extension users.
- Provide accurate, concise and timely information to the general public in all areas of activity including Rates, Vehicle Licensing, Caravan Park, Cemetery, Building Town Planning, Health as well as other general customer service enquiries in accordance with the City’s high customer service standards.
- Issue fire permits as per legislative requirements.
Cash Handling and Receipting
- Issue receipts for all monies received in person and by mail.
- Receipt funds as provided by the departments within the City.
- Ensure receipts are allocated to correct general ledger accounts.
- Ensure daily reconciliation of cash and cheques
- Maintain float and petty cash requirements, and balance as per City guidelines
- Maintain knowledge of vehicle licensing requirements as per legislation.
- Booking of practical tests and ability to conduct eyesight and theory tests as per legislative requirements.
- Provide information and education about learner and probationary driver requirements to the public.
- Provide administrative support in the changing over plates and licensing of vehicles.
- Process licence renewals.
- Processes application forms.
- Provide cemetery map to enable family of the deceased to select plot.
- Issue approval to bury to Funeral Director and update the cemetery map, Synergy and register.
- Liaise with work crew to dig grave, clean around the grave site and ensure all is ready for access by Funeral Director, family and attendees
- Prepare daily outgoing mail and postage statements.
- Provide assistance at information desk when required.
- Provide administrative support for all dog and cat licensing requirements
- Other duties as required
4. Corporate Accountabilities
- Human Resource Management & Leadership – Participates in performance management processes; participates in L&D activities including induction, recruitment, and succession planning.
- OH&S – Ensure duty of care compliant with OH&S legislation and follow all safety and injury management processes appropriately, including reporting injuries, accidents and near misses.
- Ethical Behaviour – Demonstrates a positive commitment and compliance with all EEO legislation covering all forms of workplace discrimination, harassment, victimisation and bullying; compliance with the City’s Code of Conduct and all City policies.
- Records Management - Ensures all documents are recorded in accordance with the City’s Record Keeping Plan and policies and procedures. Ensures confidentiality is maintained at all times.
- Budgets – Manage the operational budget to ensure that expenses are controlled and monitored accurately. Report on budgetary deviations and develop strategies to enable forward planning as required.
- Strategic Vision - Articulates a clear picture of the future direction of the team and describes how current decisions will impact the ability to achieve this. Creates realistic schedules and assesses opportunities and problems to assist in achieving the City’s strategic objectives as required
- Values - create a positive working environment while upholding the City’s STARS:
- We will make customers the focus of everything we do.
- Our service will be fair, flexible, innovative and reliable.
- We will show genuine concern for customers.
- We will trust the foundation of all relationships.
- We will rely and depend on each other.
- Our communications will be open and genuine.
- We will honour our commitments.
- We will take responsibility for our own actions.
- We won’t blame others.
- We will treat others like we would like to be treated.
- We will listen before we talk.
- We will seek and value the contributions of others.
- We will be united in our decisions.
- We will be united in our actions.
- Our strengths will come from interdependence.
5. Selection Criteria
All criteria essential unless otherwise stated.
Qualifications and Experience
- Certificate IV and/or industry qualification in Customer Service, Business Administration or Business, with appropriate on the job training and relevant experience
- National Police Clearance
- C Class Driver’s Licence
- Demonstrated customer service experience, including the ability to establish positive relationships with customers; determine and address customer requirements; accurately and confidently hand and balance cash and deal effectively with difficult customers.
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of Local Government functions and responsibilities
- Developed numeracy skills with a knowledge of basic accounting principles
- Developed computer literacy skills (including Word and Excel)
- Well-developed interpersonal skills including communication (written and verbal), negotiation and teamwork
- Demonstrated values of service, trust, accountability, respect and solidarity and a commitment to quality and continuous improvement principles
I have read and understood the contents of this position description and accept the following:
- This position description is aimed at describing the core output and not intended as a complete list of responsibilities, with the focus being on key outputs and flexibility. I may be required to perform other duties that are consistent with my classification including temporary activities or projects.
- My position is dynamic and that continuing change and improvement of processes, practices, knowledge, skills and behaviours is expected by the City of Greater Geraldton and this position description facilitates this development that I will actively invest in.