The Mothers Day Classic is a National Event, held annually, which is a fun run and walk to help raise funds for breast cancer research.
The Geraldton event involves a 2km, 4km and 8km walk or run and will be held in the Stow Gardens on Foreshore Drive on Sunday, May 11.
Last year’s event saw over 300 participants and nearly $3,700 was raised.
Event Organiser Melissa Latham said the event is looking for locals who would like to join the committee for the 2014 event.
The aims and strategies of the committee will be in accordance with the national Mother’s Day Classic mission and goals, set some broad aims and strategies for the event.
Allocates areas of responsibility which may include:
- Liaising with local council regarding venue, permits etc.
- Sponsorship / prizes
- Promotion of the event / PR / media
- On-the-day logistics (registration desk, start line, stage set-up, information etc)
- On–the-day entertainment (MC, aerobics instructor/s, roving entertainers, choirs/singers/bands, jumping castles, face painters etc)
- On-the-day fundraising (raffles, BBQ, flower sales, donation tins etc)
The frequency of meetings will vary depending on the tasks that the group will have set. Though given today's availability of internet/email/social media, often these forum's avoid the necessity of 'weekly' meetings.
“I already have the support of the event from the Geraldton Harriers Club and Athletes Foot, though am wanting to get some more locals involved,” Melissa said.
Those wanting to get involved can apply, expressing their areas of interest and previous experience, through an email to Melissa at email@example.com
For more information about the event itself visit: http://www.mothersdayclassic.com.au/event/wa/geraldton-wa