In the latest edition of ewatch, local police are urging people to be more vigilant over the summer and holidays.
Below is a checklist to help you dramatically reduce the chances of your home being burgled.
A quick home security appraisal: With every “yes” you answer to the following points, your home becomes more burglar proof.
- Are all doors and windows equipped with adequate locks, including garage and shed doors?
- Are gates kept locked when not in use?
- Are shrubs trimmed to eliminate hiding places?
- Do you have security sensor lights on the exterior of your home?
- Is there a peep hole in your main door or other visual access to visitors at the front door?
- Do you have auto timing switches for lights/TV/radio?
- Do you have a safe for your valuables?
- Are valuables engraved or marked for identification?
- Have serial numbers been recorded?
- Have you removed any keys hidden outside
- Do you have a security alarm?
- Do you have a dog?
- Is your pet door properly secured when not in use?
- Is your street number clearly visible from the street?
When leaving your home, ask yourself “Does it look like the house is empty?”