Note: Brand Hwy closed in both directions from Gingin to Muchea
Bushfire EMERGENCY WARNING for Brand Highway in North Muchea in the Shires of Chittering and Gingin
Sunday 22 November 2015 - 6:30 PM
A bushfire EMERGENCY WARNING has been issued for people near Brand Highway between Byrne Road and Airfield Road in North Muchea in the shires of Chittering and Gingin.
• The alert level for this fire has been upgraded as it is approaching Brand Highway and nearby properties.
• Homes along Brand Highway between Timaru Road and Byrne Road are under threat by fire now.
• You are in danger and need to act immediately to survive. There is a threat to lives and homes.
• The fire started on the east side of Yanchep pine plantation and has moved into Unallocated Crown Land. It is burning towards Brand Highway.
• The bushfire is moving fast in a south-easterly direction at 1500m per hour.
• It is out of control and unpredictable.
• Burning embers may be blown around your home. WHAT TO DO:
• If the way is clear, leave now for a safer place.
• Do not wait and see, leaving at the last minute is deadly.
• There is ember attack ahead of the fire, so close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
• If your plan is to stay and actively defend, do not rely on mains water pressure as it may be affected. If you have access to a water tank and plan to defend your home, start patrolling with your hose and put out spot fires.
• If you cannot leave, you need to get ready to shelter in your home and actively defend it.
• If you are not at home, it is too dangerous now to return.
• Your safest option may be to visit family or friends who live away from the area. SAFEST ROUTE:
• If you live in north of Bore Road leave via Brand Highway to the north. South of Bore Road leave via Brand Highway to the south.ROAD CLOSURES:
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and other emergency services personnel working on site.
A number of roads have been closed including:
Brand Highway between Cockram Road and the intersection of Railway Parade and Brand Highway just north of Muchea townsite.
Road information may also be available by calling Main Roads WA on 138 138 or visit www.mainroads.wa.gov.au
RECREATION SITE CLOSURES:
No recreation sites are closed.KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit www.dpaw.wa.gov.au,www.dfes.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow Parks and Wildlife on Facebook or Twitter @WAParksWildlife, listen to ABC local radio, 6PR or news bulletins.
Updates will be provided hourly unless the situation changes.