Suffering from dust allergies can be a struggle for some and the smallest things can often trigger symptoms to develop. People with dust allergies are likely to experience anything from an itchy throat, watering eyes, and a stuffy nose to a pounding headache, sneezing and even tightness in the chest.
This makes household cleaning quite a difficult task and can do more harm than good if not maintained regularly, as it will lead to a build up of allergens. Common indoor allergens include dust mites, pet dander, fumes from cleaning products, mould and even pollen from indoor plants.
Karyn, from Norfolk Cleaning Services, has provided us with a few handy cleaning tips that can help relieve and reduce allergy symptoms. She also emphasises that regular household cleaning is strongly encouraged to keep on top of the build up of dust and other allergens.
Dust is one of the most common allergens in homes. Thankfully, it is manageable through regular vacuuming of carpets and window tracks. Dust builds up quickly and if vacuuming only occurs once or twice a month, you will most likely trigger allergy symptoms by bringing up excess dust into the air when cleaning. A simple vacuum once or twice a week is the best thing you can do to keep on top of it.
Use a HEPA filter:
HEPA vacuum filters are designed to remove dust that is both on the ground and in the air, through its powerful suction. Many older modelled vacuum cleaners do not have HEPA filters, which is why some older vacuum cleaners collect dust and blow some of it back out into the air. So investing in a HEPA filtration model vacuum cleaner is a wise choice and they’re sold in most white goods stores.
Switch cleaning chemicals:
While most cleaning chemicals are effective, certain brands that are scented can easily trigger allergies for those who are sensitive to the fumes. If this is the case for you, Karyn recommends switching to a diluted white vinegar solution and/or fragrant free cleaners which are available in most shopping centres.
Check for and remove mould:
If you notice a few specks of mould, the best thing to do is wait until the surface is completely dry before treating it. Turning on a fan for a few hours will do the trick. Once thoroughly dry, mix vinegar and baking soda with warm water and spray the solution onto the affected area. It is recommended to wait a few hours and then remove the mould with a normal scrubbing brush. Remember, mould can grow anywhere in the house, so using non-toxic chemicals is the safest solution for your family and pets.
Leave it to the professionals:
The best way to avoid irritations and allergies from cleaning is to either get someone else who doesn’t suffer from allergies to do it for you, or leave it to the professionals. Norfolk Cleaning have been operating in Geraldton for over 20 years and specialise in all areas of cleaning and are here to do the hard work for you. For more tips on how to allergy-proof your home, give their friendly team a call today.
- Norfolk Cleaning Services are open Monday – Friday from 7:00am – 5:00pm
- Phone 0409 374 572