Buccs take swift lead in first quarter against Slammers

Buccs have got off to a flying start in their second home game of the season against the Southwest Slammers taking a 37-18 lead at the first break. Buccs had their work cut out for them heading into the fourth round of the season with the Slammers in 5th spot and the Buccs not far behind in 7th spot.

The game starter and both teams had opportunities to score but it was Buccs’ Bennie Lewis who sunk a speccy three-pointer for the first score of the game but the Slammers were quick to reciprocate.

The smallest man on the court, Luke Wrensted then pulled out another three pointer but the Slammers were right on their tails.

Buccs imports Carter Cook and Odarty Blankson were standouts as was new-comer Bennie Lewis and captain Mat Wundenberg was a strong force in the Buccs’ defense.

Slammers’ Todd Hendley didnt waste his opportunities under the bucket both in offence and defense.

Buccs scoring percentage was impressive as they ended the first quarter with a sturdy 19-point lead.

Slammers put up the first four points in the second quarter and their intensity looked a lot higher in the second term.

But it didn’t defer the Buccs’ confidence and they continued to make leeway on the scoreboard.

Slammers’ Patrick Phillips showed some smooth moves in the keyway but Buccs’ defense was just as good.

Bennie Lewis put on a show for the crowd and his 3-point range was impressive.

In just seven minutes into the second quarter, The Buccs had extended their lead to 25-points.

The composure of  Buccs’ Luke Wrensted and Aaron Ralph was pivotal as they enjoyed a 73-52 lead at half time.


Shooting percentage was low for both sides in the first stages of the third quarter but Buccs’ momentum didn’t seem like it was going anywhere.

Slammers made some crucial mistakes and they seemed a bit shaken as the Buccs continued their good form.

Slammers upped the anti mid-way through the third term and Todd Hendley worked tirelessly to put his side on the scoreboard.

Buccs’ Clayton Dann proved his reliability in court and with three minutes left in the third quarter Buccs were up 94-66.

Buccs led 99-67 heading into the last quarter.

The game was almost set in stone as the Buccs entered the court for the last quarter with a 32-point lead.

Youngsters Charles Thurkle and Jack Stone got their chance on the court and all the Buccs had to do was hold their lead.

Slammers didn’t drop their heads and continued to lessen the margin on the scoreboard.

With 4 minutes left in the game Slammers only trailed by 17 points.

It looked as thought Slammers were going to make a tight comeback but the Buccs made sure the score line didn’t blow out.

With two minutes left in the game the crowd voiced their support as it was set in concrete that the Buccs would take home a win.

The last minutes of the game played out as the Buccs continued to seize their opportunities.

As the final siren sounded the crowd was on their feet as the Buccs took home a convincing 120-100 win.