Buccs take home 18-point win in home game against Giants

buccsvgiants It was a shaky start for the Geraldton Buccaneers but they managed a convincing 18-point over the Goldfields Giants.

Buccs trailed by just 4 points at the first break of their home game against the Giants.

It only took Buccs seconds for their first score of the game with an easy one from Odartey Blankson but the Goldfields Giants were quick to reciprocate.

Bennie Lewis scored the next two goals for the Buccs with some speccy moves and pressure was high in the Buccs’ defensive end.

Some inaccuracy from the Buccs and strong plays in the Giants’ offensive end put the Buccs and the Giants 8-all with 7 minutes left in the first quarter.

Giants’ Lordan Franich was pivotal for his side and was accurate under the basket.

Giants continued their good form but Buccs didn’t let them get too far ahead as Giants led 28-24 at the first break.

Intensity was high as both sides entered the second quarter and it wasn't long before scores were level.

Blankson was accurate and Buccs' Shamus Ballantyne proved his worth bringing the ball down court swiftly.

Some good range shooting by Buccs' Bennie Lewis put them 5 points ahead with just under 5 minutes left in the half.

Giants' Duran Blue made it hard for Buccs to get too far ahead and it was tight competition for the rest of the half.

Buccs led 51-46 at half time.

After just 5 minutes into the third quarter, scores were back to even, 51-all.

Lewis pulled out all stops and the Buccs reeled in a 10-point lead, with just over 8 minutes left in the third quarter.

The home crowd showed their support for their side as their lead extended.

Buccs were strong in their rebounding but Giants were hot on their tails.

With just one quarter left in the match Buccs led 72-62.

Buccs were keen to keep their lead and Lewis together with Blankson put on a show for the crowd.

Giants looked as though they were running out of steam and Buccs maintained their intensity.

Buccs' Carter Cook made leeway on the margin and the Buccs went from strength-to-strength.

A tussle between the two sides with just under two minutes in the match didn't deter the Buccs and they walked away with  a 102-84 win.